Church of Saint Andrew, C12, built of red sandstone it stands on a raised circular platform - 13c tower and 14c belfry, 1593 porch . East end of the chancel rebuilt in 1740 at the expense of Andrew Corbet. Church restored in 1891/2 at a cost of £1,350, partly by public subscription and partly at the expense of Francis Stanier of Peplow.
St Peter, Siddington, Glos on Flickr.
On the outer edge of Cirencester, but still feeling separate. As you approach the church everything looks Victorian, but the north side of the church is fine C17 Gothic with very large square-headed windows to this aisle. The south-porch tower also shelters a fine Norman doorway. The tympanum shows “Christ in Majesty flanked by two kneeling figures, one St Peter, the other possibly a donor” (BofE) but the central figure holds the keys, the figure to the left has a halo, the one on the right not so is this St Peter sitting in judgement? Inside the chancel arch is Transitional with a pointed arch but the familiar Norman enrichments to the outer two orders. The C19 work is good, and by Woodyer. The aisle has a fine original panelled roof resting on angel-carrying-shields corbels, and an east window with two nuches to the left but none on the right, an unusual arrangement. Norman too the richly carved drum-shaped font with a jaunty neo-Norman conical cover suspended over. [church locked, but keyholders listed]
St James. East Cranmore, Somerset on Flickr.
1846 by T H Wyatt, and now a house. Nave with south transept, and chancel with north transeptal bay. Small tower and spire in the angle of nave and S transept, doubling as a porch.
St Swithin, Worcester on Flickr.
now vested in the Churches Conservation Trust. Rebuilt except for its Tudor tower in 1734 36, St Swithun’s is an almost unaltered example of early Georgian church architecture. It has all the furnishings of its time including font, organ, box pews and altar; but most notable are an elegant three-decker pulpit, under its wonderful tester surmounted by a gilded pelican feeding her young, and the mayor’s pew.
St Michael, Orchard Portman, Somerset on Flickr.
Quick pic of Pugin’s St Barnabas in Nottingham right now
(The catholic cathedral)
One of the few Round Tower Churches outside of East Anglia
The Church of St Morwenna and St John the Baptist, Morwenstow is in the parish of Morwenstow, north Cornwall, United Kingdom, the most northerly in Cornwall. The church is dedicated to Morwenna, a local saint, and to John the Baptist, and is a Grade I listed building. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Truro, the archdeaconry of Bodmin and the deanery of Stratton. Its benefice is combined with that of St James, Kilkhampton.
From 1835 to 1874 the vicar of the parish was Rev. R. S. Hawker, poet and antiquary who is credited with creating the modern form of the harvest festival church service to give thanks for a good harvest in 1842. It stands in a remote position near cliffs on the north coast of Cornwall. Amongst the tombs and gravestones in the churchyard is the preserved figurehead from a ship which was wrecked nearby.